The Old Church dates from the 13th Century and, according to Lipscomb’s history of Buckinghamshire, “… was originally built as a Chapel of Ease to Weston Turville and was granted… by the family of Turville to Missenden Abbey” .
The church is a listed Grade 1 building and is the oldest building in the former Chiltern District. Nowadays the church is preserved and managed by The Lee Old Church Trust, who hold a programme of events during the year (see Forthcoming Events).
The Old Church remains consecrated and continues to be used for regular services including Holy Communion, Quiet Days, Recitals, Talks and Art Exhibitions. Details of future services can be found in The Lee Newsletter.
More facts about the Old Church’s history can be found on the following pages:
The site prior to 1220 AD
Early Church history
Architectural points of interest
The Church becomes ‘Old’
The formation of The Lee Old Church Trust (1976-84)
The Old Church Trust – recent history
Refurbishing the Old Church Trust
Information is based on a talk given to The Lee Old Church Trust by John Glanfield and on a leaflet produced by the Trust. Additional information from a newletter article by Jon Swain.
Photographs appear by permission of The Lee Newsletter and The Chiltern Society Photographic Group.
Membership: Jilly Carleton-Smith (01494 837205) for details of how to become a Friend of the Old Church Trust
Secretary: Pam Garner ( 01494 837501) for general information, to arrange a visit or to become a Friend of the Old Church Trust
Frequently asked questions
It was built in around 1220 AD, so is around 800 years old.
Yes, there is a regular service on the first and third Sundays of each month, plus other services and cultural events on an ad hoc basis throughout the year.